The Nelson Inn or Lord Nelson dates back to 1806. It replaced the Granby Inn that opened in 1775. The Nelson and Nelson Tap occupied the entire width of New Road between Stone Street and Windmill Street. It was a coaching inn with stables in the middle opening on to New Road. An omnibus ran daily from The Nelson to Meopham, Wrotham and Ightham and a coach arrived from Maidstone every morning in time to catch the 8am boat to London in the years following 1815 when the first steam boat undertook regular services. It also waited to pick up passengers from the boat when they returned from London in the evening.
The Nelson Hotel closed in 1983 and is now a McDonald’s restaurant.



"A Historical Walk Through Gravesend And Northfleet" more information can be found in the publication, which is for sale - See publications page.