• Thomas de Gravesend born.

• King Edward II acquired the Manor of Gravesend by default.

• Manor of Gravesend granted to William de Montacute for life.
• John Beneyt of Northfleet accused of “breaking the rabbit house of the Lord Archbishop allowing the rabbits to escape and taking them away”.

• Stephen de Gravesend consecrated Bishop of London.

• Case of trespass in the King’s rabbit warren at Gravesend.

• Possible date of the founding of Milton Chantry by Aymer de Valence.

• St. Botolph’s Church, Northfleet built about this time on the site of the former Saxon and Norman church.

• Robert de Ufford granted the Manor of Gravesend.

• John de Langeford, first Rector of Milton resigned.

• Large fleet anchored off Gravesend on its way to fight the Flemings, at the start of the 100 Years War between England and France

• Sir Stephen de Gravesend (Bishop of London and Lord of the Manor of Parrock and Nurstead) died at Stortford.

• Reginald de Cobham appointed as Admiral of the Fleet (Thames to West).
• Parrock Manor occupied by Sir Thomas de Gravesend, Lord of the Manor of Parrock and his wife Joan. (See 1377)

• Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk (Lord of the Manor of Gravesend), appointed as Admiral of the Fleet (Thames to North).
• Robbery at the Gravesend granery of Robert de Ufford (Lord of the Manor).

• As a result of the Black Death (Bubonic Plague) the village of Dode, near Luddesdown was wiped out. The church, originally built in the Norman period, was abandoned and fell into decay. (See 1905, 1947, 1954, 1991, 1992, 1999)

• John Page of Gravesend appointed by the king to the Office of “Searcher of the Thames”. (Searchers for counterfeit money, silver plate, vessels of silver and gold coming into the Port of London and all places along the sea coast on both sides of the Thames to Gravesend and in the town of Gravesend. See 1825)

• Edward III recovered the Manor of Gravesend from Robert de Ufford.
• Manor house built in Gravesend by Edward III (completed 1368, demolished 1383).
• Cobham College founded by Sir John de Cobham. Originally a college for 5 priests, founded in order that prayers could be said for the souls of the de Cobham family. (See 1536)

• Edward the Confessor granted that a market in Gravesend be held on a Thursday and an annual fair.

• Richard Pope, Searcher of Gravesend, seized goods on a ship.
• A new windmill made by John Young, a new bridge and a new weir were erected.

• William Besyngg, Master of St. Mary’s Hospital, Strood was appointed Clerk of the Works at the Manor of Gravesend.

• Beacons were erected at “Rugdon Hill” (Windmill Hill), Gravesend and Cliffe to warn of invasion threat from the French and Spanish.
• Manor of Parrock purchased by the Crown on the death of Sir Thomas de Gravesend. Granted by Edward III to the newly founded Cistercian Abbey of St. Mary Graces, near the Tower of London.

• French and Spanish warships burned Gravesend and many captives taken. The town afterwards was in great distress.

• King Richard II arrived by water but not liking the “shabby appearance of the inhabitants, was afraid to land and was rowed back to the Tower”.
• Gravesend Watermen granted the exclusive right to ferry passengers to London, in compensation for the burning of the town the previous year. This became known as the Long Ferry.

• Abbot and Convent of St. Mary Graces rented Manor of Parrock to Sir Simon Burely (Lord Warden of Cinque Ports).

• Duty of 1/2d per chaldron (85lbs - weight of coal), to repair London Bridge, charged on coal arriving at Gravesend.

• Richard II conducted from London to Gravesend under guard and confined there.

• Right of “Men of Gravesend” to ferry passengers to Billingsgate confirmed by Henry IV.
• Gravesend ordered to provide one armed balinger (small, light sea-going vessel) with 40 men against invasion.

• Royal Commission ordered that labourers and artificers (craftsmen) be taken to erect defence works at East Tilbury.

• Thomas Prendergast appointed Searcher for London and Thames as far as Gravesend.

• West Street first mentioned.
• Lord Mayor of London sent wine from Gravesend for troops of Henry V (in battle in the 100 years war) in France.

• Court of Conservancy (Dealt with conservancy of the Thames. A jury sworn in to inquire into any offences which hindered navigation of the river, the state of any bridges or floodgates along the river bank and the preservation of fish in the river) held at Gravesend before the Lord Mayor of London.

• Thames frozen from London Bridge to Gravesend for 10 weeks.