Print
continental-barber-inside.jpg
continental-barber-inside.jpg
The Continental Barber was located in Town Pier Square until it closed on 26 September 2008. Records show that the building originally opened as a hotel in about 1830. The earliest record of the shop as a barber was in 1851. The last owner, Tom McGuire, was proud that he broke the run as the longest owner of the business shortly before it closed. The trademark red and white pole was outside the premises which being located adjacent to the ferry terminal, saw Russian sailors, commonwealth and foreign visitors, who were in transit to London or visiting the town. According to Tom McGuire one of his most notable customers was the ‘Terrible Turk’ a champion wrestler of the time.





continental-barber-inside.jpg
continental-barber-inside.jpg