Albert John Hill founded his electrical retail business, A J Hill, in Stone Street in November 1941. He began as an electrical engineer in 1923 with the first ‘cats whisker’ and crystal radio sets and experimental transmissions from Chelmsford.  In 1936, he attended the Baird Television School at Crystal Palace.  On passing his exams he became the only holder of a television service engineer’s certificate in Gravesend and the surrounding area.  When war broke out he received an indefinite deferral from call-up as his services were so essential to public morale.  After WW2, the business expanded into Windmill Street but this was closed in 1966 after years of credit squeeze. After he passed away in February 1999 the business was passed to his son Derek Hill who died in the spring of 2006.  The shop is still operating today.