Print

the-forge-1979
the-forge-1979
At the corner of Forge Lane, which in older days extended southward to the extreme southern boundary of the parish, is the forge from which Charles Dickens drew some of the features of the forge in his novel, ‘Great Expectations’. Oscar Mullender, who used to operate the smithy, knew Dickens well. The last smith to operate the forge was A. Mann, who retired on 4 November 1953.

The Forge is one of only two surviving Kentish weather board buildings which before the 1940's were very common in Chalk. It stands on an ancient crossroads and has a mysterious story about human remains discovered under the kitchen floor during excavations in 1984.