The vicar of Holy Trinity Church, Reverend Robinson, was concerned about the spiritual needs of all the people who lived on the river, especially those awaiting aboard emigrant ships. He set up a mission in a former public house, the Spread Eagle, and appealed for funds to build a church.
A Miss Beaufort offered to support the building of the mission church in memory of her father, Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort and St Andrew’s was built on the riverside in 1871. Four bells were installed in the tower and these bells were rung to mark the sailing of each emigrant ship. Emigrants risked a hazardous voyage to Canada or Australia in the hope that they would make a better life for their framilies there.