A Virtual Museum - Your Town, the Borough and its History

Abbotsfield From a field name of 1839

Aspdin Road After the Aspdin family, Joseph the patentee of Portland Cement., began manufacture in 1846.

Barham Close Richard Harris Barham, author of The Ingoldsby Legends, often stayed at Milton Manor.

Castle Lane Public House the Lisle Castle ((1776 – 1940) was damaged by aerial mine 22 September 1940. Was recorded in 1760 as Prettywick Lane.

Deneholm Road A variant spelling of denehole as one was found here.

Eagle Way Black Eagle public house (1866 – 1967)

Fiveash Road Site of the windmill built by Mr John Fiveash, the miller (1789 – 1839)

Garrick Street David Garrick (1717 – 1779) actor. After the theatre which stood on the site now occupied by Tesco

Harmer Street James Harmer (1777 – 1853) Alderman of London and a Director of the Milton Park Estate Company. Rebuilt Ingress Abbey Greenhithe.

Jury Street Cut in 1846-7 between High Street and Princes Street after a fire. A jury sat to assess the damage and costs.

Kitchener Avenue Sir Herbert Kitchener (1850-1916) Secretary of State for War at start of First World War

Leith Park Road Frederick Leith, Mayor 1867 and 1868. Lived at no.5 Bronte Villas      

Malvina Avenue Name of the nurse who cared for Alderman A Ramsay during the 1914-18 war

Newton Abbott Road After the town to which Northfleet children were evacuated in the Second World War.

Ordnance Road Land owned by the Board of Ordnance.

Perry Street Land on which pears were grown

Russell Street Two Johns both brewers and both Mayors.

Stonebridge Road A stone culvert crossing the Ebbsfleet stream

Thong Lane A long narrow lane. In 1434 called Longweystrette.

Vicarage Drive The site of St Botolph’s Vicarage.

Waterdales Meadow waterlogged during periods of high rainfall. Name dates back to 15th century.

Zion Place The road leading to Zion Chapel in Windmill Street; the Baptist Church built in 1843.

References and further information:

"A Historical Walk Through Gravesend And Northfleet" published by Gravesend Historical Society.


See the publications for more information on this book and more.