The name of St. Katherine’s is based upon a chance record of its final passing into lay hands long after the reformation, when in 1581 a commission of concealed lands reported that the chapel of St. Katherine with a small croft garden worth 2d per annum had been overlooked in the earlier turnover of church lands. The most likely original purpose seems to have been that of a pilgrim chapel, they are not uncommon along the pilgrim route to Canterbury.
Further information can be found in:
A. F. Allen. Shorne: The History of a Kentish Village, 1987. Copies are available for reference at Gravesend Library.