The Jolly Drayman
J. Kendal Junior ran a brewery at 10 Wellington Street from circa 1850 followed by L. Laslett. In 1854 it was taken over by Alexander Walker and in 1893 by Walker and Sons. The London brewery firm of Charringtons acquired the site in 1905 that continued brewing there until about 1928. After a fire at Barton’s timber yard had damaged the premises and turned the beer sour (it had to be pumped out by fir hoses) the building was demolished in 1936. The site was then used as part of the Jolly Drayman (or colloquially the Coke Oven) in Love Lane better known as the Brewery Tap.