A Virtual Museum - Your Town, the Borough and its History

An early Victorian public house whose name was taken from the use of the garden area for archery practise.  Records show a landlord at the premises from 1858 until demolition in the 1980s when the whole area was redeveloped as part of the Imperial Business Estate.

The pub was particularly popular and well known locally during the period of heavy industrialisation in that part of Gravesend and Northfleet.

 

Refs:

http://www.sopse.org.uk

the-george-meopham.jpg The George public house is situated in the oldest part of the village of Meopham where Iron Age and Roman settlements have been discovered.  The earliest known record of the inn is in 1688.  The George was the centre of local government in the parish in the 18th and 19th century.

The present inn sign depicts a Hanoverian King but the George is very much older than the Hanoverian dynasty.  During the operation of the Gravesend to Wrotham Turnpike Road, a side-gate or bar was located at the junction of The Street and Wrotham Road to collect tolls from traffic between Meopham and Luddesdown and Harvel.  The bar was kept locked and when any traffic needed to use the road, the ostler from the George took the toll and unlocked the gate.  According to Bagshaw’s Directory of 1847, the George was the posting house for the village.

kings-arms-meopham.jpgThe Kings Arms probably dates from 1667 and is one of the oldest pubs in the parish. There are records to show that it certainly an established trade by 1710.
It is the only three-storey public house in the village. It still operates today, situated on the east side of Wrotham Road (A227) and to the south end of Meopham Green.

 

Refs:

Pubs of Meopham by James Carley.

cricketers-inn.jpgIn existence for over 200 years and always enjoyed a close relationship with the cricketing community due to its proximity to Meopham Green (the home ground of Meopham Cricket Club, reputedly the second oldest cricket club in the country). The name was changed in 2007 to The Long Hop much to the consternation of local residents.

 

Refs:

A detailed description of this and other public houses is available in Pubs of Meopham by James Carley and The Cricketers Inn at Meopham by William Gunyon.

The New Falcon Public House opened in 1789 being called The Rhum Butt.
In the early 1800’s the name was changed to the Rum Puncheon. During 1849 the name changed yet again to The Talbot only lasting for a couple of years when it became the New Falcon. In the early 1900’s you would have found 10 public houses in West Street but now the New Falcon is the only one still open.

 

Refs:

Information from A Pub on Every Corner by Tom Baines and Public Houses in Gravesham in the 1950’s and 60’s by Frank Turner.