Where Pine Avenue and Milton Hall Road are now located, stood the mansion bearing the name of Milton Hall from 1873 to 1930. George Matthews Arnold (solicitor and Mayor of Gravesend eight times) organised the building and the architect was George Summers Clarke. The 'Building News' for 28 August 1874 contains a lithograph of the house and brief description. It had 'a baronial hall, reception room (40 feet by 24 feet and 34 feet high) and the cloakroom was lit by a lancet window'. In its extensive grounds Mr. Arnold established a museum of antiquities in which were housed objects of local interest.
Pine Avenue was the drive that led to the mansion. Pine trees flanked the drive; these were cut down in May 1984. The first house on the west side, now much altered was the Lodge that still has the two Arnold lions (one from each gate pillar) in the front garden. In the back garden of what is now 30 Pine Avenue are the columns of the old Gravesend market, presented to G.M. Arnold in 1898 when the present market hall was erected. Bernard Arnold, his only surviving son, occupied the house from his father's death in 1908 until his own death in 1925.
See also the section on ‘Famous People – George Matthews Arnold’.