A Virtual Museum - Your Town, the Borough and its History

1086

Gravesend and Milton are mentioned in the Domesday survey as manors with hythes or landing places.

1155

A hospital is built at Milton by Warin de Monte Canisio.

1268

Gravesend receives its first Market Charter.

1321

Milton Chantry is endowed by Aylmer de Valence.

1380

Gravesend is sacked and burnt by the French.

1401

Henry IV confirms the right of the watermen of Gravesend to control the ferry between Gravesend and Milton.

1524

The Chantry, with its outbuildings and grounds, is in poor repair and is rented out as a farm to William Wilde of Gravesend.

1539

HenryVIII orders the building of 5 artillery blockhouses, 2 at Gravesend, to defend the mouth of the Thames.

1562

Elizabeth 1 grants a Charter of Incorporation to the people of Milton and Gravesend.

1588

Giannibelli builds a boom of boats across the river between Gravesend and Tilbury to protect London from the Spanish Armada.

1667

Blockhouses are repaired and armed against a Dutch invasion.

1697

Milton Chantry becomes the Zoar alehouse, later renamed the New Tavern.

1727

A Great Fire destroys the parish church, the prison and 120 homes in the town. The population at this time is 2000.

1778

New Tavern Fort is built as a precaution against French invasion. Milton Chantry is encased in brick and used as a barracks.

1865

Another French invasion scare results in major reconstruction and rearming of the New Tavern Fort.

1910

The population of Gravesend has grown to nearly 30,000.

1944

Fort House is destroyed by a V2 rocket during the second world war.