• First buildings at Romano-British settlement at Springhead (Vagniacae) were built.
• Estimated date of Roman temple discovered at Springhead.
• Estimated date of rebuilding a temple at Springhead.
• About this year one of the temples at Springhead was rebuilt.
• Cynedretha, Abbess of Cookham in Berkshire exchanged lands with Archbishop of Canterbury for the land of 10 families and a large holding in Northfleet. (From this time each successive Archbishop became Lord of the Manor of Northfleet, until the year 1538)
• Hoard of Saxon coins deposited about this year near the site of the Pelham Arms. (Discovered in 1838)
• Land at Denton given to Church of Rochester by Byhtric and his wife Elfswyth, rich Saxons of Meopham.
• Northfleet (or Flyote as it was then called) heads the list of Manors in Tollingtrue hundred, being larger and more valuable than Gravesend or Milton.
• Trial on Penenden Heath restored to Church of Rochester the lands at Denton which had been seized by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, following the Norman Conquest.
• Domesday Book completed. It records churches at Gravesend (“Gravesham”) and Milton and a watermill and a hythe, or landing place, on the river.
• Benedictine nunnery believed to have been founded at Higham about this date. The first prioress to be appointed was Mary de Bois, daughter of King Stephen.
• Lime carried from Gravesend to Dover for work on Dover Castle.
• Normans built large squat tower for St. Botolph’s Church, Northfleet.
• Archbishop Hubert gave King John 4 palfreys (a small saddle horse for ladies) in return for the privilege of holding a ten day fair at Northfleet. (This May fair continued until the end of the 18th century).
• The seat of the de Cobham family established at Cobham. (See 1662)
• Reverend Adam first recorded Rector of Gravesend.
• Manor of Gravesend worth £15 held by Richard de Halstede. Crops worth 24 marks. Manor of Parrock worth 5 marks held by Petronilla de Gravesend. (A mark was a medieval coin worth 13s 4d or 66p).
• John Baker and James Marecall of Gravesend accused of avoiding duty when selling wine.
• Sir Henry de Cramaville holds Gravesend Manor.
• Richard de Gravesend consecrated Bishop of Lincoln.
• Petronilla de Gravesend leased Parrock Manor from William de Clovil.
• Robert de la Parock leased Parrock Manor from William de Clovil.
• A charter giving permission to hold a market was conferred on Robert de la Parock, Lord of the Manor.
• Various tradesmen prosecuted for illegal wine dealing.
• Richard de Gravesend (Bishop of Lincoln) died.
• The Manor of Nurstead passed to Sir Stephen de Gravesend.
• A certain Luke Ingelot was stabbed to death in a quarrel at a tavern.
• Richard de Gravesend (nephew of Bishop of Lincoln) consecrated Bishop of London.
• Causeway at which passengers between London and Gravesend landed and embarked was extensively damaged by flood water during a violent storm.
• Peter de Ripariis, merchant of Montpelier drowned in the Thames, beside the wreck of the boat of John Godegom of Gravesend.
• Thomas de Weylond held Manor of Gravesend of Henry de Cramaville at a yearly rent of £20 paying 20 shillings for the ward and guard of Dover Castle and also the rent to the Hundred of Toltynture every 3 weeks.
• Taxation of Manor of Gravesend set at £6.13s.0d. annually.
• Justices of Assizes ordered that the causeway or bridge (site of present Town Pier) be repaired, half the cost to be paid by Henry de Cramaville (Lord of the Manor) and the other half by the men of Milton.
• Causeway at Higham from which the Higham Ferry crossed the river to Essex totally destroyed in a storm.
• Watermen of Gravesend fined for charging a penny fare to London instead of a halfpenny.
• “Bailiffs and good men of Northfleet” called upon to provide one ship to sail to Berwick-on-Tweed against the Scots.
• Richard de Gravesend died at Fulham.
• Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke suceeded to the possession of the Manor of Milton and founded the Chapel and Chantry soon afterwards.
• Aymer de Valence was one of the 7 Godfathers to Edward III.
• John de Hynton confessed in “Church of Stanstede” that he was a thief of 15 dies of the Lord King, which he stole from Robert Snowbal in Gravesend. Robert Snowbal was one of the watermen accused of overcharging. ( See 1293) (Dies were an engraved stamp for impressing a design onto softer material and were used for coining money, embossing, or as a seal)