Mason Hall started life as newsagents in Windmill Street opened by Len Hall in 1951.  It soon expanded to include books and stationery and amalgamated with Mason’s Books in the 1963.   The business expanded to new premises in the Anglesea Centre (now Thamesgate Centre) in 1976.  The stores was opened by Tommy Baldwin the Chelsea FC player.  The Manager was Mr Don Hall, son of the founder who joined the business straight from school.  Don died suddenly in the early 1980s and his wife, Carole, took over as manager.  At its peak the shop sold books, toys, picture frames, party ware, computer games and opened a coffee shop in 1982.  The shop eventually closed in the 1990s.