Alan G Smith
Alan G Smith started business in the tool trade in 1928 in Woodville Place. Following compulsory purchase of this property, the business moved at first to Milton Road and then to 55A New Road in 1938. Due to the success of the business it was extended to Nos. 54 and 55 New Road before WW2. During the war, the business undertook essential war work with supplies of tools and equipment for the British forces. After WW2, branches were opened in Maidstone and Rochester and Alan G Smith was the largest tool stockist in Kent. The business also opened a branch in Wellington Street that became the main trading operation. Alan G Smith died in 1966 aged 61. He was a Freemason and Master Elect of the New Era Lodge at his death. He supported local sports clubs such as Gravesend Swimming Club and Gravesend Rowing Club, of which he was a Vice-President, and Gravesend Ladies Hockey Club, of which he was President. The business eventually closed down in the 1990s.